Back in 1949 the Borough of South Plainfield dedicated a new firehouse constructed at the corner of Hamilton Boulevard and Evona Avenue. The main firehouse was located on Hamilton Boulevard just in from Maple Avenue and housed all of the equipment at the time. It is important to remember that the overpass did not exist at this time, thus requiring the apparatus responding to the Southside to wait for the trains to pass. This delay resulted in the construction of the second firehouse and the placement of two engines inside to expedite the response to any Southside call. It also served as a social area due to the large lawn space at the rear of the building. It was well used by the Fire Department for many a summer picnic. The building was razed in the summer of 1995 due to construction issues with the roof. It was scheduled to be replaced within the next few years. We are still waiting!